City Councilman Scott Griggs defeated fellow incumbent Delia Jasso last week in North Oak Cliff’s new District 1, where the voting-age population is 74 percent Hispanic. And DISD Trustee Eric Cowan fended off challengers Rafael Narvaez III and Arturo Sierra in District 7, where the student bodies of the three major high schools — Adamson, Sunset, and Molina — are all more than 90 percent Hispanic. So how did these two white guys cruise to re-election in overwhelmingly Mexican-American districts where their opponents were Latinos? It’s because the mostly white residents of Kessler Park, Stevens Park, and Winnetka Heights go to the polls far more than anyone else in North Oak Cliff.
- Councilman Lee Kleinman Has His Balls in a Vise, Gets Confused as Result by Tim Rogers
- The Barrett Brown Review of Arts and Letters and Jail: A Sign of Things to Come by Barrett Brown
- Friday Afternoon Time Kill: An Interactive Tornado Map by Peter Simek
- My Five Cents: Restaurants With Full Bars Listen Up by Nancy Nichols
- 5 Films to See at this Year’s USA Film Festival by Peter Simek
Advertisement will run for seconds. Continue to site »