Earlier this month, the North Central Texas Council of Governments says it got swamped and surprised when it started accepting applications for a federal storm-shelter rebate program. So now it’s rolling out an online waiting list for more people hoping to snag up to $3,000 apiece to offset the cost of a safe room. The web site will take applications from residents of 16 local counties on a staggered scheduled. The process begins with Collin County tonight at 7 sharp and Dallas County tomorrow morning at 8, for example. There are a couple of caveats, though. It will take anywhere from three to 18 months for the agency to contact you once your name is on the list. And the program isn’t retroactive. Meaning you can’t sign a contract to build the shelter until you’ve been “pre-approved” for the dough.
Read This Next
- Stop What You’re Doing and Watch This Inspiring Video of Mayor Mike Rawlings by Tim Rogers
- Rena Honea and Mike Morath Debate Making DISD a Home-Rule District by Cristina Daglas
- How Chart Westcott Raised $1.2 Million for a State Rep Race and Only Got 30 Percent of the Vote by Eric Celeste
- A Lament for John Carona by Wick Allison
- Stop What You’re Doing and Watch This Inspiring Video of Mayor Mike Rawlings, Ctd. by Tim Rogers